Smartphones have become the single most significant piece of technology in our lives, a gateway to the world and representing your digital life. This comes at a price however: the tech industry have progressively turned you into the product or entrapped you into constantly buying new hardware. They design phones with services and apps that track and analyze your habits, your friends and acquaintances, and then exploit that information.
The Librem 5 gives you the opportunity to take back control and protect your private information and your digital life through free and open source software, open governance, and transparency. The Librem 5 is built on PureOS, a fully free, ethical and open-source operating system that is not based on Android or iOS.
The Librem 5 will not wholesale gather your data for profit. It will not lock you into an ecosystem that controls you. It will not require you to enter banking details to simply get an app from an app store.
Security focused by design:
- Privacy protection by default, instead your profile and data being products sold to the highest bidder.
- Does not use Android or iOS. The Librem 5 comes with the mobile version of our FSF-endorsed operating system PureOS by default, and is expected to be able to run most GNU+Linux distributions.
- CPU separate from baseband, isolating the blackbox that the modem may represent and allowing us to seek hardware certification of the main board by the Free Software Foundation.
- Hardware Kill Switches for camera, microphone, WiFi/Bluetooth, and baseband.
- End-to-end encrypted decentralized communications via Matrix over the Internet.
- We also intend the Librem 5 to integrate with the Librem Key security token in the future.
- User-Replaceable Battery. Put an end to planned obsolescence.
- Lifetime updates that actually extend your phone’s life
This phone was made with you in mind. This device is for anybody and everybody interested in protecting his/her data, communicating privately to your loved ones, or supporting a future of protecting your digital rights.